World War II
In addition to these documents, please see the extensive collection of ship’s newsletters.
These miscellaneous documents related to Abbot, 1943-46, are from the Vic Loranger collection:
- Documents related to “Crossing The Line” Collected documents related to ceremonies at the equator, 1943-1944. [6MB]
- King Neptune’s subpoena. Ordering S2c John Luke Olender to appear at the Crossing The Line ceremony, 25 December 1943.[3MB]
- Program for Christmas Service, 1943
- Program for a boxing match with the destroyer Walker. Undated (probably 1944).
- Message from Cmdr. Dornin Newsletter marking Abbot’s 1st anniversary, April 1944.
- Lt. Cmdr Ingling’s orders relieving Cmdr. Dornin. 14 August 1944.
- Cebu Morning Times, 5 May 1945
- Summary of operations, 1943-46 Written in early 1946. [3MB]
- Navy Day 1945 pamphlet Anacortes, Washington, 1945.
- Letter of Commendation for Lt. Walter Baranger, the executive officer.
Other World War II Documents
- Know Your Enemy: Japan! Pamphlet explaining the war effort; 1942.
Cold War Documents
- Gil Nelson’s officer’s journal, 1953-1955, including 1954 World Cruise itinerary.
- Ship’s history, 1960, given to all crew and midshipmen.
- Orientation manual, 1960, given to all crew and midshipmen. Excellent overview of ship’s operations.
- Gene Gallagher’s documents 1961-1963, with a plan of the day from 1961.
Plans of Fletcher-class destroyers from the National Archives.