Abbot’s Commanding Officers:
Lowell Crosby “Doc” Savage

November 1952 — May 5, 1954


Also see Doc Savage’s films of Abbot taken in the 1950s.

Lowell “Doc” Savage was born in Ogden, Utah, and graduated from Annapolis in 1941. He reported for duty aboard the Gleaves-class destroyer Eberle, and served on convoy and patrol duty in Atlantic, Mediterranean and North African waters. He was awarded the Silver Lifesaving Medal for heroism after saving a man who had fallen overboard from a freighter — they floated for 20 minutes before being hauled to safety.

Lt. Savage next reported to duty aboard the newly commissioned Fletcher-class destroyer Kidd in 1943. Abbot and Kidd both served in Destroyer Squadron 48, and the two ships often sailed together.

(Lt. Savage turns toward the camera during the refueling scene aboard Kidd in the Destroyer Life film.)

While serving as gunnery officer, Lt. Savage earned the Bronze Star Medal for his actions during two large scale Japanese air attacks against Kidd and its task fleet near Rabaul and Tarawa in November 1943.

After the war, Lt. Commander Savage served as drill officer at the Naval Training Center in Norfolk, Virginia, then served as flag lieutenant to Commander Naval Base, Norfolk. He then served as assistant gunnery officer and as damage control officer aboard the aircraft carrier Franklin D. Roosevelt from 1947 until he was ordered to the staff of Commander Twelfth Naval District in June 1949.

Commander Savage served as executive officer aboard the survey ship Maury (the former attack cargo ship Renate) from September 1951 to November 1952. Their mission to the Persian Gulf included a hydrographic survey.

He assumed command of Abbot in November 1952, serving until April 1954.

After finishing his sea duty, Commander Savage served with the Bureau of Naval Personnel in Washington, D.C, from 1954 to 1957.

In 1957, Commander Savage and his family reported to Athens for a two-year attachment to the headquarters of the commander in the Aegean Sea area. He was promoted to captain during this tour.

Captain Savage next reported to Newport, R.I., as commander of Destroyer Division 122. In 1960, Captain Savage and his family returned to Alexandria, Virginia, when he was assigned to the headquarters of the Naval Security Group. He was chief of staff and became deputy director just before to his death.

He died at home of a heart attack on 17 December 1961, at the age of 42. Captain Savage is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

“Doc” Savage is survived by his wife, Bonnie, who raised their four children and who still lives in their Alexandria home.

Sources: Sue (Savage) Dikeman, 2007
and U.S. Navy records